Share HealthLifestyle E. coli outbreaks linked to Egypt by: – June 30, 2011 12 Views no discussions Share Sharing is caring! Share Tweet By James GallagherHealth reporter, BBC NewsE. coli outbreaks in Germany and France could have come from seeds sourced in Egypt, the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control has said.A report said there was still “much uncertainty”, but fenugreek seeds imported in 2009 and 2010 “had been implicated in both outbreaks”.More than 4,000 people were infected during the German outbreak, 48 died.Investigators traced the source back to a bean sprout farm in Bienenbuettel, Lower Saxony.The outbreak in Bordeaux affected 15 people and was linked to seeds sold by a company in the UK – Thompson and Morgan, although the firm said it had no evidence of a link.Linked Both outbreaks involved the rare strain of E. coli known as O104:H4.The European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) said the strain was so rare in humans the outbreaks were unlikely to have been isolated incidents and both were linked to eating sprouting seeds.Further investigations have been trying to determine if the source of the infection was contamination at the sites, or if they had been supplied with contaminated seeds.The report said the outbreak in Bordeaux had been linked to seeds exported in 2009 from Egypt to a company in the UK and then sold to France. The German outbreak had come from seeds imported in 2010, it said.The report added there could be more outbreaks of the deadly E. coli as “other batches of potentially contaminated seeds are still available within the European Union and perhaps outside”.The ECDC and the European Food Safety Authority “strongly recommend advising consumers not to grow sprouts for their own consumption and not to eat sprouts or sprouted seeds unless they have been cooked thoroughly” until their investigations are complete.
Update on the latest sports ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) — Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh is pushing for a change that would allow football players to enter the NFL draft after their freshman or sophomore seasons in college.Harbaugh shared that idea among others in an open letter to the football community Thursday. Currently, players are not eligible for the NFL draft until they have been out of high school for at least three years. It is a policy in the collective bargaining agreement that runs through the 2030 season.The league and the union have shown no inclination of revising the rule that was unsuccessfully challenged by Maurice Clarett (kluh-REHT’).,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6 — The NFL has set protocols for reopening team facilities and has told the 32 teams to have them in place by May 15. Commissioner Roger Goodell mapped out several phases of protocols in a memo obtained by The Associated Press. The first phase to deal with the coronavirus pandemic would involve a limited number of non-player personnel. The individual clubs would decide which employees could return to the facility and when, once the buildings reopen. No players would be permitted in the facility except to continue therapy and rehabilitation for injuries that were underway when facilities were ordered closed in late March.— The Cleveland Cavaliers are one of a handful of NBA teams planning to reopen their training facilities Friday for individual player workouts. Coach J.B. Bickerstaff said the team has worked with health officials to ensure players and coaches are safe. Bickerstaff said the league has advised coaches to wear masks and gloves. The team says no one will be allowed to enter the building without having their temperature taken. The NBA is allowing players to voluntarily work out at their team practice facilities under some very specific conditions, and only in places where local and state governments have signed off on such openings.— NBA teams have been asked to help the Mayo Clinic with a study that could help researchers come closer to finding a solution to the coronavirus problem. The NBA and its players are partnering with Mayo Clinic officials who need volunteers for a study largely centered around antibodies. Teams were told that the study would help doctors understand the prevalence of COVID-19 among infected individuals who were asymptomatic or experienced only mild symptoms. Additional goals of the study include being able to identify more patients who could donate plasma and improve care for patients who are dealing with the coronavirus, plus potentially move researchers closer to a vaccine.— Fans will be allowed to enter baseball stadiums Friday for games in Taiwan for the first time this season. It is part of a gradual easing of restrictions amid the pandemic. The China Professional Baseball League said up to 1,000 people would be permitted to enter ballparks after an agreement between the league and Taiwan’s Central Epidemic Command Center.— New York City Mayor Bill De Blasio doesn’t see games returning to Yankee Stadium or Citi Field very quickly, at least not with fans. De Blasio says bigger events are going to be one of the last things that will really fit the equation as the country restarts. He says the perfect time to reopen big events is when the new coronavirus has been “beaten back to next to nothing” because of the danger that big gatherings “could be one of the things that propels the disease back.” Opening day was scheduled for March 26 but has been postponed indefinitely because of the disease. May 7, 2020 — Germany’s Bundesliga (BOON’-dehsh-lee-guh) has been given the go-ahead to resume its top two soccer divisions this month. German soccer league managing director Christian Seifert announced Thursday that the Bundesliga season will resume on May 16 with matches played in empty stadiums. The announcement comes one day after Chancellor Angela Merkel (AHN’-geh-lah MEHR’-kuhl) and the country’s 16 state governors agreed the season could resume. The Bundesliga was suspended on March 13 with nine rounds remaining. Seifert says the league will begin again where it left off.— One top-tier Italian soccer team is resisting moves to restart the season. Brescia’s (BREH’-shuhz) captain says his entire squad opposes resuming the soccer season amid the coronavirus pandemic. He tells an Italian newspaper that “we don’t feel safe.” Most clubs in the top Italian league are resuming training on an individual basis this week but last-place Brescia is one of the holdouts.— The Kontinental Hockey League says it won’t name a champion after it stopped the season part-way through the playoffs because of the coronavirus pandemic. The Russia-based league shut down in March but didn’t immediately decide how the final standings would be determined. The KHL says the eight teams still in the playoffs at the time the season ended will be ruled as jointly finishing in the top eight positions. The league is widely considered— WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman expects professional boxing to return without spectators and with judges officiating by video from home. Sulaiman said the World Boxing Council has produced a protocol for fights during the coronavirus pandemic that limit, for instance, a four-fight card to about 40-50 people at a venue. Those numbers include one handler for each fighter, boxing commission supervisors, media and TV production crews.— The French Tennis Federation says it will refund tickets purchased for the French Open because of uncertainty related to the coronavirus pandemic. The clay-court tournament at Roland Garros was initially slated to be held May 24-June 7 but has been rescheduled for Sept. 20-Oct. 4. The FFT says it “has taken the decision to cancel and refund all tickets purchased for the original dates of Roland Garros.” Refunds will be received by end of May and a new ticketing procedure will be opened if the tournament goes ahead. Associated Press Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditVIRUS OUTBREAK-SPORTSIndyCar to open delayed season in TexasUNDATED (AP) — IndyCar has gotten the green flag to finally start its season in Texas. The race will be run June 6 without spectators at Texas Motor Speedway. That was the next race on the series schedule that hadn’t been postponed or canceled because of the coronavirus pandemic.IndyCar President Jay Frye says IndyCar worked closely with TMS President Eddie Gossage, his track and public health officials on a plan to “ensure the safety of our event participants.”The June season opener will be on a condensed schedule with practice, qualifying and the race taking place on the same day. There will be strict access guidelines limiting the number of personnel on site, with health screening system administered to all participants and personal protection equipment provided to everyone entering the facility. Social distancing protocols will be in place.In other developments related to the coronavirus pandemic:— Sporting events in Oregon are likely to be without large crowds likely through at least the end of September because of the new coronavirus. Oregon Gov. Kate Brown announced steps the state is taking in its reopening next week. Brown asked those planning large gatherings to cancel or significantly modify plans for anything scheduled in September. That’s likely to impact the NBA’s Portland Trail Blazers, the Portland Timbers of the MLS, and Oregon and Oregon State college football. While the NBA and MLS have no firm plans of a restart, Oregon and Oregon State both have three home games scheduled. Republican Senator Roger Wicker of Mississippi sent 20 questions to each Power Five conference, dozens of colleges and universities and committees at each of the NCAA’s three divisions. Wicker’s letter comes a day after Democratic Senators Chris Murphy and Cory Booker released a letter to NCAA President Mark Emmert urging the association take further action on name, image and likeness compensation for college athletes.Wicker’s letter comes a day after Sens. Chris Murphy, D-Conn., and Cory Booker, D-N.J., released a letter to NCAA President Mark Emmert urging the association to take further action on name, image and likeness compensation for college athletes.Last week, the NCAA Board of Governors signed off on recommendations to allow college athletes that opportunity to make money from personal endorsement deals and for activities like autograph signings and personal appearances.HARBAUGH’S DRAFT PROPOSALSJim Harbaugh proposes one-and-done rule change for NFL draft — More than 30 workers have accepted voluntary severance packages from the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee. It’s part of the organization’s attempt to trim up to 20% of its expenses in response to shortfalls caused by COVID-19. Furloughs and involuntary layoffs are expected to begin next week. CEO Sarah Hirshland told the staff of plans to make all the cuts by the end of May. Employees were offered severance packages that gave two weeks’ pay for every year of service, along with a cash payment to cover health insurance over the span of the severance period. — The televised match involving Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson and two of the NFL’s greatest quarterbacks is raising $10 million for COVID-19 relief. Turner Sports is producing the May 24 event that will be simulcast on its networks, including TNT and TBS. Woods and Peyton Manning will take on Mickelson and Tom Brady at Medalist Golf Club. The match is the second time live golf will be on TV since the coronavirus pandemic shut down the PGA Tour and other tours around the world. Rory McIlroy and Dustin Johnson are part of a charity match May 17 at nearby Seminole.NCAA-COMPENSATING ATHLETESSenators send letters to NCAA leaders with NIL questionsWASHINGTON (AP) — The chairman of the Senate Commerce Committee has sent a letter to NCAA leaders, conferences and schools requesting details about how college athletes can be compensated for their names, images and likenesses. read more