PANAMA CITY, (CMC):Jamaica’s Montego Bay United conceded two first-half goals as they slumped to a 3-0 defeat to Arabe Unido in their opening Group H game of the CONCACAF Champions League at the Estadio Maracana here Wednesday night.JosÈ Gonzalez and Renan Addles both netted to give the hosts a 2-0 lead at the break, before Enrico Small added a third late in the second half, to wrap up the points.The defeat left Montego Bay with a tall order to qualify, as they face powerful Major League Soccer’s DC United in their next game later this month.Hoping for a bright start, the Jamaican outfit were behind after just 12 minutes when Yoel Barcenas set up Gonzalez, who fired past goalkeeper Jacomeno Barrett from inside the area.It was Barrett who was at fault for the second goal, seeming to misjudge Addles’s free kick from nearly 30 yards out, and watching helplessly as the ball bounced past him.Montego Bay kept the scoreline intact until eleven minutes from the end when Small finally broke through to complete a convincing victory.The 26-year-old eluded his marker and climbed on to a free kick to power past Barrett from point-blank range.
JUST six deaths were recorded on Co Donegal’s roads last year – the lowest since records began – with an overall 20% drop in accidents on our roads.But the man leading the the fight to reduce deaths and accidents says the hard work must go on.Garda Traffic Corps Inspector Michael Harrison says GoSafe vans are helping “massively” to change driver behaviour across Co Donegal. And he says enforcement of the traffic laws is the only way of reducing the number of incidents, fatalities and injuries – alongside education and other measures.“The entire strategy involving so many different organisations and An Garda Siochana is working but we cannot be complacent, we need to keep going,” Inspector Harrison told donegaldaily.com.“We know the GoSafe vans and the work of our own officers is working because I can see it myself on the roads. People are slowing down; driver behaviour is changing and changing for the better.”The number of tickets issued in 2011 has almost doubled on the previous year – up 94%. Young male drivers continue to be the focus of attention because “they are the group still most likely to kill themselves or others on our roads,” said the Inspector.As part of the enforcement, Gardai have seized more than 900 vehicles in the past 12 months.And they continue to work closely with road safety groups and Donegal County Council to make our roads safer – and the people who drive on them drive more safely.“One death is one death too many,” said Inspector Harrison. “You just have to ask the family of someone who has died on the roads. We must all work hard to make our roads safer.”© 2011 donegaldaily.com, all Rights Reserved The copying, republication or redistribution of donegaldaily.com Content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited by law.Follow us on www.twitter.com/donegaldailyFollow us on www.facebook.com/donegaldailySell anything on www.donegaldailyclassifieds.com TRAFFIC ACCIDENTS DOWN 20% – BUT WORK GOES ON, SAYS INSPECTOR was last modified: January 5th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:donegalGarda Traffic CorpsInspector Michael Harrison read more